Standoff with gunman ends without incident

By CONOR GLESNER/Montana State News

Police arrived at a house in the 1200 block of North Ninth Avenue early Tuesday morning after responding to several 911 calls reporting a shot being fired outside the house. According to Police Chief Steve Crawford, authorities responded to calls made by the roommates of the suspect Wesley Brockmeyer- Barnhart, who is now in custody.

According to the official affidavit released Wednesday, one of the suspect’s roommates, Glen Hudelson and his girlfriend were engaged in an altercation with the suspect. According to Hudelson, after Brockmeyer-Barnhart attempted to break down the door of the room that Hudelson and his girlfriend were in they fled the house on foot. Hudelson said that the suspect then proceeded to follow them outside and fire a shot from a handgun in their direction.

Another roommate, Micha Burnham, was also interviewed for the affidavit. Burnham stated that he awoke after hearing the shot and found Brockmeyer-Barnhart in the kitchen, holding a .40 caliber Smith and Wesson handgun. According to Burnham the suspect acknowledged firing the shot. He also witnessed a hole approximately two feet wide in the door of Hudelson’s room. It was at this point that Burnham fled as well, and both he and Hudelson called 911.

The initial 911 calls were received at 4:30 a.m. and the Special Response unit of Bozeman P.D. arrived at around 6:45 a.m. to secure the area. According to Crawford the police were unable to make contact with Brockmeyer-Barnhart until around 11 a.m. when they were able to reach him on a phone.

Negotiations continued throughout the day, as Brockmeyer-Barnhart was seen occasionally at various windows. Things continued to stagnate until about 4:35 p.m. when Brockmeyer-Barnhart exited the house, and police made the arrest with the use of a Taser. At 4:47 p.m. the Bozeman Police twitter account sent out the statement “Person in custody. All involved are fine.”

According to a Bozeman P.D. press release, in addition to the Special Response Team, Bozeman Police, Gallatin County Sheriff, Bozeman Fire, Montana Highway Patrol and American Medical Response Ambulance were all on scene working to safely resolve the incident. More than 30 responders were at the scene throughout the day.

Since his arrest a bail of $250,000 has been set for Brockmeyer-Barnhart and he has been charged with assault with a weapon. If convicted, he faces a $50,000 fine and up to 20 years in prison.

– Edited by Kristin Rochniak

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: